Last Update: Dec. 2, 2019
A Brief History of
Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church
The first Ukrainian immigrants arrived in Akron, Ohio, circa 1900. Over 500 Ukrainians came here between 1912 and 1914, and more than 2000 between 1916 and 1918. As they settled down and raised families, they recognized a need for an organized social and religious life. In October 1915, the first meeting was called for that purpose and in November 1915 a decision was made to purchase lots to build a church on Washington and Abel Streets.
After World War II, the parish was strengthened by an influx of new immigrants from Europe. A larger church became necessary and in 1946 the parish purchased eight lots on Brown Street. In March 1952, the thirty-three year pastorate of Rev. Taras Durbak began. The new church construction was completed December 1961. Interior decorations include a sanctuary icon depicting Pentecost, the Descent of the Holy Ghost. After completion of the sanctuary, the iconostas was installed. Made of carved dark wood and gold plated, the iconostas has Royal and Deacon Doors, icons depicting the life of Our Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the four Evangelists, St. Nicholas, St. Josaphat, St. Stephen, and the Archangel Michael. The exquisite altar linens were embroidered by ladies of the parish.
In 1985, Fr. Durbak retired and Fr. Wolodymyr Woloszczuk, the first in our parish to become a priest, became pastor. His pastorate was succeeded by Fr. Stephen Krupka, Fr. Peter Tomas, Fr. Ignatius Kury, Fr. Claudio Melnicki , Fr. Michael Kulick, and our present administrator, Fr. Vsevolod (Sal) Shevchuk.